The UK launches new points-based visa system: Indian students are likely to benefit
The government of the UK has unveiled the new points-based immigration system, which will control the flow of the immigrants. Thousands of foreigners, including Indians, are likely to be benefitted from it. The new system is a unified and comprehensive UK-wide system that applies to all the UK visa applicants, including students, and will take effect from 1 January 2021.
UK’s new Point based immigration policy has put an end to discrimination between the EU and non-EU workers, and it will consider factors like skills, job offer, and language when issuing visas which would allow foreigners to work in the UK.
UK Secretary of State for the Home Department, Priti Patel of Indian origin, introduced the new policy in the House of Commons on 24 February 2020. She said, "Today is a historic moment for the whole country. We're ending free movement, taking back control of our borders and delivering on the people's priorities by introducing a new UK points-based immigration system," She signified the benefits of the new policy and said "We will attract the brightest and the best from around the globe, boosting the economy and our communities, and unleash this country's full potential,"
Further, she added, "We will continue to welcome international students who want to study in our world-class universities across the United Kingdom, and there will be no cap on their numbers. … When they have finished their studies, our new graduate route will allow them to stay in the UK and work at any skill level for up to a further two years."
Mr. Jan Thompson, Acting British High Commissioner to India, said, "the new Points-Based Immigration System is great news for Indian nationals looking to work in the UK. It puts Indian applicants on a level playing field, and prioritises those with the greatest skills and talent – something which India has in abundance."
UK new Point based system explained
- As stated above, the UK’s new points-based immigration system will be applicable from January 1, 2021.
- In the new system, aspiring immigrants will be assigned points which will be based on their qualification, skills, salaries or field. Visa will only be issued to those who receive enough points, which are categorised below.
|The 70 points thresholds|
|Offer of job by approved sponsor||No||20|
|Job at appropriate skill level||No||20|
|Speaks English at required level||No||10|
|Salary of £20,480 (minimum) - £23,039||Yes||0|
|Salary of £20,480 - £25,599||Yes||10|
|Salary of £25,600 or above||Yes||20|
|Job in a shortage occupation (designated by migration advisory Committee)||Yes||20|
|Education qualification: PhD in subject relevant to the job||Yes||10|
|Education qualification: PhD in a STEM subject relevant to the job||Yes||10|
- Applicants applying under the tier 2 migration system will be required to score 70 points. They may have to demonstrate their eligibility through the following tests
- Proof of English language proficiency (mandatory)
- Proof of funds (mandatory)
- Certification of Sponsorship
- Prospective Earnings
- There will be equal opportunity for EU, and non-EU citizens and priority will be given to highly skilled personals including scientists, engineers and academics.
- In most of the cases, applicants will be required to have an offer although there are exceptions for specific professions such as science and research.
- It is estimated that the new visa policy would have disqualified nearly 70% of EU workers already in the UK. This means in the coming days, applicants from countries like India will be benefitted as there is no shortage of talent and skills.
Points allocated for a Visa in the Tier 4 category
Most of the students apply under the Tier 4 category. They will now need to score 40 points consisting of
- 30 points for having an acceptance letter (confirmation of Acceptance for studies– CAS) from a Higher Education Institute.
- 10 points for maintenance, i.e. having enough money to cover living cost and course fees.
Requirements for studying in the UK
Here are some of the essential criteria that the students applying under the tire 4 must meet
- Proof of English language ability which you can demonstrate through IELTS (typically overall 6.0 with no less than 5.5 in each module for undergraduate degree courses, and overall 6.5 with no less than 6.0 in each module for Postgraduate degree course)
- Proof of funds
- ATAS requirements (if required)
- CAS letter
If you are applying to study in the UK, it is recommended that you consult with our UK student visa consultants. Our experts will also help in choosing the right university or college based on your academics, interest, and finance. Pyramid has tie-ups with several UK’s top-ranking universities and colleges. For more information on this matter, please visit any of our branches or call 92563-92563.
Short Term Courses in UK for Indian Students - Pyramid eServices
As the world becomes increasingly globalized, the demand for education
BSc Nursing Course in UK: Eligibility, Top Colleges, Scholarships, Career - Admission 2023
If you are interested in pursuing a career
Australia: extended work rights for international students will take effect July 2023
In a recent media release, the Australian government has
Best courses to study in Canada
Canada offers almost every type of course for every student, according to their interests.