Event Enquiry

Study in the USA After 12th

Thousands of students go to the USA to study in one of the best universities and colleges every year. As per the Open Doors Report, in 2019, the number of Indian students in the USA was whooping 202,014. The number of Indian undergraduate students increased by 6.3% in 2019 as compared to 2018. Moreover, there is an increase in the non-degree category, and the optional practical training category of Indian students as well.

Undergraduate study programs in the USA

Typically, students who want to study the USA after completing 12th have an option to choose between 2- and 4-year undergraduate programs. The key differences are as follows

Two-year undergraduate programs

Community colleges in the USA usually offer two-year undergraduate programs. On completion of which an Associate Degree, such as Associate of arts or Associate of science, is awarded to the student. Typically, an associate degree takes 60 credit hours to complete and includes

  • General subjects
  • Core Subjects (subjects focused on the major area of study)
  • Elective subjects (based on the interest of the student)

Minor, the secondary area of study, generally compliments Majors and is usually based on personal interest. After completing an Associate Degree, students can transfer to 4-year undergraduate programs.

Four-year undergraduate programs

The four-year undergraduate programs are usually offered by state colleges and universities in the USA. On completion of which a bachelor's degree, such as Bachelor of Arts or Bachelor of Science, is awarded to the student. Typically, an associate degree takes 120 credit hours to complete. Students who first complete an Associate Degree are awarded 60 credit hours on transferring to an undergraduate study program.

Post-secondary education in the USA is based on the idea of liberal arts and sciences. Students can choose from a wide range of subjects to complete their bachelor's degree. Students can take up to two years to determine their majors, which is a great advantage. The final two years are usually more focused on the majors.

In the USA, degrees in Medicine and Law are not awarded at the bachelor's level. One can pursue them after completing their bachelor's degree and meeting the other required criteria.

Some of the degrees that are awarded after four-year undergraduate programs are

  • Bachelor of Engineering
  • Bachelor of Science
  • Bachelor of Architecture Degree
  • Bachelor of Social Work
  • Bachelor of Science in Nursing
  • Bachelor of Arts
  • Bachelor of Fine Arts
  • Bachelor of Design
  • Bachelor of Philosophy
  • Bachelor of Science in Public Affairs

The requirement to study in the USA after 12th

Here is the list of some of the most common requirements that students need to fulfill to study in a US institution

  • Acceptance letter from a SEVP approved educational institution
  • Proof of completion of 12th
  • Statement of purpose
  • Proof of funds
  • Valid passport
  • Proof of English language proficiency

Depending on your case, you may need other documents to show to get your F1 Student Visa. It is highly recommended that you meet our US student visa experts to know what other documents you will require. They will also assist you in choosing the right study program based on your academics, interest, and finance. Pyramid has tie-ups with top-notch US universities and colleges and can fulfill your study in the USA dream quickly.

Have a question or need a custom quote?

Get a free Counselling Executive for your Profile

Quick Enquiry
Call Now