Event Enquiry

Study in Canada: June update for International Students

Due to COVID-19 pandemic, the Canadian government introduced temporary changes in immigration policy, which has raised many questions in the minds of international students who are studying there or aspiring to study there. Recently, Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) has issued a summary of the latest development, which were collected through coordination with the Universities Canada, Colleges and Institutes Canada, and the Canadian Bureau for International Education. Here are some of the most relevant updates for international students.

Starting online Classes and PGWP

As per IRCC, you will remain eligible for PGWP if you start your summer of Fall 2020 program from your home country. You can complete up to 50% of your study program. IRCC future clears that there will be no deduction from the length of your future PGWP for the period you spent outside of Canada, up to December 31, 2020.

Starting online Classes without a study permit

You may start your online classes without having a study permit. However, to be eligible for PGWP, you will need a study permit or a study permit approval. In other words, if you started your online classes without a valid study permit or approval, your studies will not count towards your eligibility for PGWP.

Student status and future PGWP eligibility

To maintain future PGWP eligibility, you will need to be a full-time student at Canadian Designated Learning Institution (DLI).

Bringing depended with you to Canada

IRCC has exempted Immediate family members of residents who are not Canadian citizens or permanent residents from the travel restrictions and may be able to come to Canada. However, to be able to board a flight, authorization from IRCC will be required.

Working full-time during suspended semester

According to IRCC, a suspended semester is not considered a scheduled break. This means that you will only be able to work as many hours as your study permit authorizes you.

Renewal of study permit in Canada

If you are in Canada and your study permit or work permit is expiring soon, then you should apply online to renew your permit. If you do so, you will get implied status to stay as a temporary resident by law until a decision is made. You are allowed to submit your incomplete application. If you are unable to get access to documents needed or biometrics. However, you will have to attach an explanatory letter detailing the situation. You will be given 90 days to submit your documents. Failing to produce documents within this period will result in a refusal.

Canadian graduates seeking to travel to Canada

If you are a student with implied status, then you will require a letter of Introduction to be exempted from the travel restrictions. A Letter of Introduction is the letter you obtain from IRCC once you have been approved for the PGWP.

At this time, Canada is processing online applications for temporary resident visas (TRVs) as well as electronic travel authorization (eTA). If you want to study in Canada in the fall 2020 or January 2021 session, then call us at 92563-92563 to apply.

Have a question or need a custom quote?

Get a free Counselling Executive for your Profile

Quick Enquiry
Call Now