Post Study Work Permit (PSWP)

Post Study Work Permit (PSWP)

There is no doubt that Canadian universities and colleges are among the best higher education institutions in the world, but do you know you can also stay back in Canada and work after completing your degree or diploma or certificate? Yes, Canada’s generous immigration policy allows international students to work for up to 3 years after completing their higher education so that they can contribute to their economy with their knowledge and skills. To work in Canada after studies, you will need to apply for a Post-Graduation Work Permit, which is also known as PGWP.

A post-graduation work permit allows you to stay in Canada for three years and work full-time after completing your secondary education from a designated learning institution (DLI). However, the length of a work permit usually depends on the length of your study program. For example, if your study program is more than eight months but less than two years, you may get a PGWP that is valid for up to the same length as your study program. And if your course is of 2 years or more, you may get PGWP up to 3 years. In case you complete more than one study program, then You may be able to get a PGWP that combines the length of each program.

You can apply for the PGWP if you have an official letter from your school confirming that you have completed your study program and have your official academic transcript or copy of it. Also, the IRCC can request other documents after receiving your application. You should not let your study permit expire while you wait for your marks. In case your study permit expires before you get your marksheet, you can apply for a temporary resident visa. The eligibility criteria for a Post-Graduation Work Permit is as follows.


Eligibility Criteria

pswp requirements

you can apply for a PGWP. If

  • You have completed a study program that was at least eight months long at a designated learning institution that led to a degree, diploma, or certificate.
  • You have maintained full-time status as a student in Canada during each semester of your study program. This does not include your final semester.
  • You have graduated from a designated learning institute. DLIs are colleges, trade/technical schools, universities, or CEGEPs (in Quebec) that have permission to host international students.
Have a question or need a custom quote?

Get a free Counselling Executive for your Profile

Quick Enquiry
Call Now